These delicious banana pancakes got so much attention on Instagram which forced me to post the recipe here. I didn’t photograph them for the blog but have a couple pics to go with the post. So here is the recipe for the softest and fluffiest pancakes which tastes incredible too! With hardly any butter, these pancakes are definitely on a healthier side. I know you have an overripe banana lying around in the house so make these ALREADY 😉
Banana Oatmeal Yogurt Pancakes
Makes: 10-12 pancakes (3-inch size) | Serves: 2-3
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 10 minutes | Total time: 20 minutes
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 medium/large very ripe banana, mashed with fork (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup yogurt/buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted plus a bit more for greasing
- Maple syrup, to serve
*You may substitute all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour and add a splash of milk (if required) to reach the correct consistency of batter.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, oats, baking powder, salt and ground cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, mash the banana with the fork till no lumps remain. Whisk in yogurt and egg till completely incorporated. Whisk in vanilla extract followed by brown sugar. To this mixture, add dry ingredients to form a smooth batter. Add melted butter to this and let the batter rest for 5 minutes.
- Heat a large non-stick or cast iron skillet over medium-low heat and grease with butter. Work in batches. Pour scant 1/4 cup batter for each pancake into the skillet. When the edges begin to look dry and cooked and bubbles dot the top, flip and cook until golden on the other side.
- Serve hot, topped with some maple syrup.
Wow… It’s been 3 weeks since my last blog-post! I’ve really missed you guys. If you follow me on Instagram
then you know of my shenanigans. Past 3 weeks were spent vacationing leisurely in beautiful Goa and finishing some important paperwork back home. If you don’t follow me there then you’ve missed out on some amazing pics of sunsets and not-to-be-missed eateries in Goa so I’d suggest you tap that blue button right away! We had a fabulous time spending our 5th wedding anniversary, relaxing and lazying around on beach. It had been ages (more than a year!!) since we took our last vacation (just us) so this 10 days break was much appreciated. But my sun-burnt self is definitely glad to be back and you’re going to love this recipe I have for you!
After our holiday to the tropics, I recreated the scene in the comfort of our home and made these uh-mah-zing banana donuts. Oh and I didn’t serve them alone. Oh yeh! These are topped with fresh strawberry cream cheese frosting. Yes, it is 2 recipes in 1 blog-post kinda day today. Anyway I can compensate my absence on this space 😉
These soft and fluffy whole wheat banana donuts are what dreams are made of! This is a healthier and eggfree version. Brown sugar has been used which used with bananas lends a caramelized depth of flavor. I prefer to use oil instead of butter in most of my cakes and cupcakes. Oil combined with yogurt gives moist and pillowy end product even when whole wheat flour is involved.
And what do I say about the frosting! It is super cool. Spread it on donuts or frost some vanilla or chocolate cupcakes with it. Yes, the recipe below will frost about 12 cupcakes and will frost 12 donuts even more generously with a spoonful or two extra for licking! The frosting naturally is pink without addition of any artificial color and it is flavored with real strawberries and just a bit of strawberry extract. Perfection indeed!
Baked Banana Donuts with Fresh Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting ~ Healthier & Eggfree
Makes : 12 donuts | Prep time: 20 minutes | Bake time: 13-14 minutes | Total time: under 30 minutes
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 + 1/2 cup mashed banana (about 3 large)
- 6 Tbsp yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large strawberries
- 4 ounce / 110 gm plain cream cheese spread, at room temperature
- 1 Tbsp butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 tsp strawberry essence
- 1/4 tsp strawberry essence
- 1/4 cup icing sugar, sifted (or more as per preference)
- Preheat the oven at 180ºC / 350ºF. Grease 12-count donut pan with oil. Set aside.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together oil and sugar until completely incorporated. Whisk in banana, yogurt and vanilla extract.
- Gently fold dry ingredients into wet ingredients until no flour pockets remain. Do not over-mix. Divide the batter equally and fill the molds no more than 3/4th. Bake for 13-14 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a cooling rack for 5 minutes. Then carefully turn out doughnuts directly onto rack to cool.
- Preparing frosting: Wash, hull and pat dry 2 large strawberries. Cut them in small pieces and mash them using fork. Add cream cheese spread, butter and strawberry essence to the bowl and whisk using your electric mixer. Add sifted sugar to this mixture and whisk until completely incorporated and frosting is firm. On completely cooled donuts, spread a thick layer of this frosting. The donuts will keep well in refrigerator for 4-5 days.