Nowadays I am baking practically everyday!!! I have become a baking fanatic! 😉
I have been mentioning in all my recent posts about how its Summer already and this year around Bangalore has become a magnet for scorching heat!!! I am exhausted! All I wanna do is drink anything and everything from refrigerator and sleep under a fan. I wish!!! A girl can dream, right?! 😉
But my crazy work hours forces me to get out of the house at 1 in noon when its especially terrible.. I am not a morning-person so the timing suits me perfectly but I can’t take this torturous heat anymore! HELP… Is anyone listening to me?! I guess not!!
I seem to have no option other than cribbing in front of you guys and this is when baking came to my rescue! I am baking all refreshing treats which can be eaten chilled! So if you are facing same problem as me then summon your spatulas and heat up your oven! We will face the sun with smile on our face! And don’t forget to whip it good! 😉
Today I am sharing with you all my recipe for Mountain Dew Cupcakes with buttercream frosting. These have a very prominent flavor from Mountain Dew but not over the top.
There is lemon and lime juice and zest in both the batter and frosting, giving them a good kick. The cupcakes are soft and moist. The frosting is velvety and buttery. And they’re perfect for toting along to picnics and cook-outs all summer long!
Mountain Dew Cupcakes
- 1/4 cup butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Zest from 1 lemon
- Zest from 1 lime
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup Mountain Dew
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1/4 tsp pineapple extract
Mountain Dew Buttercream Frosting
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp Mountain Dew
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp lime juice
- zest from half a lemon
- zest from half a lime
- light green food coloring
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF/180ºC. Line a 6-count muffin tin with paper liners. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. In a small cup, stir together Mountain Dew, lemon juice, lime juice and pineapple extract.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Add lemon and lime zest and then add egg, give it a good whisk.
- Add half of the dry ingredients to the batter. Stir in the wet ingredients and finish off with the rest of the dry ingredients, mixing until just combined. Do not over-mix.
- Fill each baking cup 2/3 of the way full. Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cupcakes rest in muffin tin for a few minutes before removing. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
- For the frosting: Cream together butter and sugar. Add mountain dew, lemon juice, lime juice and zests. Stir in one or two drops of food color. Add more sugar if required depending upon the consistency and whisk. Frost the cupcakes once they are completely cool.