This peanut butter-flavored dish is a cinch to throw together. So convenient on a weeknight or when you’re just lazy. Just boil a pot of water, saute some vegetables and whisk together some sauces from your pantry. Dinner is served!
Vegetable Whole-wheat Noodle Bowl
Serves:2 | Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 15 minutes | Total: 25 minutes
For noodle bowl:
- 2 nests of whole wheat noodles
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut into 2 inch thin strips
- 1 small head of broccoli, cut into florets
- Pinch of salt
- Freshly cracked pepper, to taste
- 1 small bunch of scallions (spring onions), finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp lightly toasted white sesame seeds*, for topping
*You may use toasted peanuts too instead.
- 3 Tbsp peanut butter
- 1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- big pinch of red pepper flakes
- 2 Tbsp of hot water (or a little more to achieve a thin yogurt-like consistency of sauce)
- Boil a medium sized pot of water. Add the whole wheat noodles and cook according to the package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Heat a pan over medium high heat. Add oil and sauté garlic for about 30 seconds. Add red pepper and broccoli to the pan and sauté for another 5 minutes over medium high heat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Whisk together all the ingredients for sauce, adding the hot water in increments at the end. You are going for a thin yogurt-like consistency.
- Once the noodles are cooked and drained, toss together the noodles, sautéd vegetables and scallions.
- Portion into small bowls and top with a generous sprinkling of sesame seeds. Serve immediately.