Just popping in to say Hi as it’s been two weeks since we last talked! I am feeling unbelievably lazy and don’t want to write much so I’ll leave you guys with this quick recipe. I hope you guys’ll understand.
Salads are usually underrated but this one right here is a total stunner. Perfect for spring! It was my first time using fennel in my home kitchen so I was quite excited in terms of what to make with it. I’m a salad person so that is what I wanted to experiment first. The combination of leek, fennel, apple and walnuts works so beautifully and sounds quite exotic but mostly they are all simple, earthy ingredients bound together by a simple dressing. I can’t wait to turn these ingredients in to a soup once the rainy days arrive in full swing(which I hope will be soon!).
Leeks, Fennel, Apple + Walnut Warm Salad
Serves: as a side for 2/a hearty meal for 1 | Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 10 minutes | Total: 20 minutes
- 1 apple, cored & sliced (peeling is optional, I didn’t)
- 1 + 1 tsp lemon juice, divided
- 10-12 walnuts
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 leeks
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme, leaves removed
- 1 fennel, small bulb, sliced
- 3-4 lettuce leaves
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 and 1/2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp honey
- freshly cracked pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste
*Preparing Leek : Cut the ends off the leek and discard. Quarter the leek lengthwise, wash under running water to remove all the grit and cut them into slices.
*Preparing Fennel : Check this easy tutorial on The Kitchn
- Wash, core and slice an apple. Toss with 1 tsp of lemon juice to prevent discoloration and set aside.
- In a fry pan, add the walnuts and toast them on a medium-low heat until fragrant. Set aside.
- In the same fry pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add garlic, leeks and thyme leaves to the pan and sauté for about 3-4 minutes stirring occasionally. Add sliced fennel, cook for another minute or so and remove it from the heat. Immediately stir in sliced apples and splash remaining 1 tsp lemon juice.
- In a small jar, add all the ingredients for the salad dressing. Close the lid tightly and shake the jar vigorously until completely combined. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss.
- In a serving plate, make a bed of lettuce leaves and top with salad. Garnish with toasted walnuts. Serve immediately.